DIRECTOR OF CIVIL & STRUCTURAL DESIGN
SALARY: $120,586.00 - $150,733.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 02/17/17
CLOSING DATE: 03/27/17, 5:00 PM
Under general direction, directs, manages, supervises, and coordinates the activities and operations of the civil, structural, CAD, right-of-way engineering group within the Design, Engineering & Construction Management (DECM) Department; manages the administration and implementation of light rail and commuter rail design and construction engineering activities to ensure that all capital projects successfully meet identified objectives and are completed in accordance with the Agencies policies and procedures and within established scope, budgetary and scheduling requirements; coordinates assigned activities with other divisions, programs, departments/offices, and outside agencies; and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the DECM Deputy Executive Director of Design and Engineering and the DECM Executive Director.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Plans, directs, coordinates, and reviews the work of assigned staff; assigns work activities and coordinates schedules, projects, and programs; provides constructive feedback; reviews and evaluates work and makes effective suggestions and recommendations.
• Coaches, trains and motivates staff; coordinates and/or provides staff training; and manages employee relations; manages the workflow and prioritization of projects and measures the performance of the department and all related staff and takes appropriate corrective action when necessary; provides advice and counsel to staff; develops developmental work plans for staff; implements or recommends corrective actions, discipline and termination procedures as appropriate/necessary.
• Assumes management responsibility for the services and activities of the civil/structural engineering group within the DECM department; directs and manages the administration and implementation of engineering activities involving design, right-of-way (ROW), permitting, budget, and construction engineering support to ensure that all capital projects successfully meet identified objectives and are completed within established budgetary and scheduling guidelines; directs, manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned projects, services, and functional areas within the division; updates, modifies, recommends and administers policies and procedures.
• Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; and recommend Departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
• Directs division consultants and contractors in the administration and implementation of projects and/or project phases; ensures that projects, services, and operations of are completed within the scope, schedule, and budget; and that all objectives are successfully met.
• Oversees all civil/structural design and construction engineering support work by assigned staff, consultants, and contractors including street work, structures, tunnel and portals, trackwork, stations, traffic control, drainage, and utilities; ensures adherence to quality, budget, and schedules; develops, directs and applies design criteria, engineering standards, technical criteria and procedures, and quality control procedures for civil/architectural design and construction; directs coordination with other agency technical staff, utilities, and private entities; assists in the establishment of formal agreements and contracts; directs, manages and controls the work of civil/structural design consultants to assure adequacy, competence, economy, operational feasibility, and maintainability of design and construction; and assists in the selection and hiring of construction contractors.
• Directs engineering support to DECM Project Development and Community Affairs staff and the general public during design and environmental analysis; serves as the liaison for the civil/structural engineering functions with other divisions, programs, departments and outside agencies; supports the community relations and public information effort(s) applicable to the department, division and to the Agency in general; and negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
• Supports the community relations and public information effort(s) applicable to the division and to the Agency in general; serves as the division's liaison with Agency Board members, elected officials, the media, local community groups, and the general public regarding division services and activities; and make regular briefings to the Board(s).
• Provides responsible staff and assistance to the DECM Deputy Executive Director of Design and Engineering, Project Directors, and the DECM Executive Director; conducts a variety of organizational studies, investigations, and operational studies; summarizes and analyzes issues and provides recommendations to the Deputy Executive Director of Design and Engineering on strategies to resolve these issues; recommends modifications to functional areas, policies, and procedures as appropriate; conducts follow-up to ensure that the issues have been resolved; and responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
• Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the division's annual budget; participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; ensures that division, and where applicable individual project(s), expenditures and cost estimates are adequately documented and monitored throughout the division and to their completion; review and approve division expenditures; and implement adjustments.
• Provides support to the department/division and others on matters as directed; serves as staff on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence; attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.